Thursday, January 15, 2015

What do I DO all day?

So what do I do. Sometimes I ask myself that exact question. There are days I feel like I'm just filling a chair. There is lots to learn and I am getting there. People that are looking for work usually come into the office to create a profile on LDS Jobs. I help them do this. Then I have a list of people I am assigned to work with. The hardest part is communicating with them. I can send out email after email, job lead after job lead and receive 0 replies. That is very frustrating. I can't help them if they don't respond. And then there are those that never complete their profile past 2%. That gives me absolutely nothing to go on. I was getting a bit down feeling I wasn't accomplishing anything. I prayed and prayed and counseled with the Lord. I came to the realization that I needed to change my attitude. At first I was asking for the attitude adjustment here and there. Then I finally got the message he was trying to tell me. I needed to work on my attitude ALL the time. Once I started doing that everything changed. My candidates returned my calls and emails. They were getting jobs! Not because of anything I was doing but because the program, which is Heavenly inspired, works! I started with over 50 candidates and now I am down to 30. Three more are just waiting for their job to confirm or the results of interviews. It has been a huge turn around for me. I am much more positive and able to make the phone calls I was hesitant about before. So things are looking up. That doesn't mean I don't get bored. I do. There is only so much I can do each day for these people. So I fill my time in other productive ways. I have cleaned out every drawer and cupboard in our office. I threw away lots of junk. At least I think it is junk. Somethings Alex rescued. I vacuum, I walk, I visit other people in the building. Anything to keep busy, ANYTHING!

Our schedule goes something like this: Monday - 10:00 to noon - Staff meeting. Update candidate profiles. After work dinner with the Gaughans who only come up to the office from theirs on Monday
                                                               Tuesday - Career Workshop 9:00am to 1:00pm. I teach the first hour and a half. Most of the time it's just Sister Bray and I all day because Alex and Steve are at other centers. Steve is here about 2 Tuesdays a month. Rest of the day I work at finding job openings, read or work on my family history.
                                                               Wednesday - Career Workshop - 9:00am to 1:00pm. I teach the last 30 minutes. That may change if there is no replacement for Elder Mathews when he finishes his mission in February. Rest of the day is same as day before.
                                                                Thursday - Same work as the previous afternoons.
                                                                Friday - Ditto
Every 6 weeks we teach the missionaries that are going home a mini workshop at the church building next door. That is kind of fun. Sometimes I get away to go to the bank, get gas or take myself out to eat. Not very exciting but it pays the bills, haha!

At least I have great things to look at all day in my little cubical.






















2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is one adorable baby in that picture right there :) Your kids must really love you!! Especially your daughter!! :)

    ReplyDelete