Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Glorious Day Off!

January 19th we were closed for Martin Luther Kings Birthday so I made plans to go see the sights. First on my list was the Holocaust museum in downtown Houston in their museum district. I left early to make sure I wouldn't have any traffic problems and was the first one thru the doors. By the time I left, the museum was packed. It was very sad, disturbing and very moving. I read all the articles and watched part of the survivors film but the stories became to horrible to listen to so I left. I was there over 3 hours and it isn't a very large building. Just so much to learn. It's hard to believe mans inhumanity to man but it continues today. After learning all I did I can see that Hitler was a catalyst to the horrors we see today. He set the bar and monsters are trying to outdo him in our day.
After the museum I went on a long drive up into the rolling hills north of Houston. It was beautiful even in the winter. After I left the big city behind I found myself wandering down tree lined highways passing thru little and very little towns. I wanted to see where my candidates who live in these parts experience life. It made me miss home with the quiet and farm land and animals. Once I passed thru Livingston after stopping at Charlie's Family restaurant, where I had a sneaky suspicion they used Miracle Whip on my BLT, I continued on driving instead of turning around and heading back home. I passed thru more small dots on the map and finally stopped at Carrigan. I visited a small roadside fruit stand and bought raw honey, tomatoes and mawhaw jelly. The proprietor was so nice to talk to. She was telling me it was a great place to live but the cost of living was so high. Why a house cost as much as $40,000. Outrageous she thought. HAHA!!! I know many who would jump at the chance to buy a house for that much, so funny. I promised her I would be back. I then took highway 190 back to Huntsville passing over Trinity Lake. It looks kind of shallow but a nice size lake. Blue water but very light blue which made me think it was shallow. The drive to Huntsville was also very relaxing and all too soon ended. Back down a busy highway 45 to home. I was going to get gas but the traffic was backed up all the way from The Woodlands to my exit due to an awful semi accident. But that's the way the freeway traffic is around Houston, AWFUL!


 This is a cement roof that rises from the ground up. Each square represents a town that was completely destroyed by the Nazis. This is just a partial list. It is huge and you can't even see it all.

 If I had thought sooner I would have taken a picture of the rail car when I was looking at it. It is small so it is very hard to believe the Nazis crammed over 100 people in it.
 On the road again


And again

No comments:

Post a Comment