Friday, April 3, 2015

Good Eats!!

Free Saturday due to Womens Conference. Went to the temple in the morning and did a bunch of sealings for my family then training on the register at clothing rental. Free until 5:45 when I needed to be at the stake center to watch the broadcast.  One of my friends from the temple suggested I should try to go to Hinze's BBQ in Wharton Texas. It was only about an hour and half away going south on 59 towards Victoria so I decided to take a spin. BUT it was also the week of March Madness and the Sweet 16 games for the south region were being played at the NRG Stadium which of course is on 59. Needless to say there was a bit of a traffic problem. Took 2 hours to get to Wharton but it was worth it. Once I got out of the city the landscape reminded me very much of home except that home in no longer green due to water shortage. But it was a peaceful drive. Wharton reminded me of West Sac just not as busy. Hinzes original building burnt down last August and they are in the process of rebuilding so they are using a very old former Pizza Hut store, very small cinder block building, and cooking and serving out of it until the new building is ready. Very no frills but the food was good. I had some nice visits with a few locals and ate some very good coleslaw, not creamy style but vinegary, which was very tasty. I ate sliced pork and pork ribs. Not overly spiced and hardly any fat. I had onion & bacon mashed potatoes with red potatoes but should have probably gotten something else since they were soso. It was very good all and all. For desert I got a sliced of their enormous lemon meringue pie and a slice of coconut for later consumption. A nice drive back out of town past the livestock auction yard and this cone head hotel. Yeserie, it is a hotel. Back in time for the conference were I fell asleep during the last 2 speakers. Good thing I can watch them on line.




 Ginormous pies!!!

 Cone head hotel, for reals!


No comments:

Post a Comment