Friday, February 20, 2015

Nimitz Museum and the National Museum of the Pacific War

On Presidents Day the office was closed so I took myself on a road trip to Frederickburg, TX about 4 hours from Houston to see these 2 museums. It was soooo amazing!!! The story of the Nimitz family was fascinating. Having the backround on him put the WWII museum in better perspective. The Nimitz museum is in their old hotel that was built by his grandfather back in the 1850s. The hotle has been restored but it only used as a museum and meeting center. Across the courtyard and down is the Pacific WWII museum. It was so full of information, pictures, displays and everything that had to do with the war in the Pacific. It started with the ancient conflict between the Japanese and the Chinese. Much of this was a catalyst for the war. Japan wanted to expand it's empire but we were supportive of the Chinese whom the Japanese wanted to conquer. From there the history went into Pearl Harbor, the Philippines and all the battles. Inside the museum was a submarine, 2 airplanes, a jeep and many other guns and articles of personal belongings. There was an iron door from the USS Arizona that sunk at Pearl Harbor. They also had a replica of the atomic boom. What I found very interesting was one of the crew of the Enola Gay was named Thomas Ferebee. Since we have Farabee in our family tree I am curious if there is any connection since the name was spelled many different ways. Needless to say by the time I was done the museum was closing at 5:00. I had been there for almost 5 hours. There was just so much to see and learn. One of the highlites of my mission. There was one more museum I wasn't able to go thru because it is by tour only. It was down the street and had more military hardware displays including a PT boat like my Dad served on. I hope I can go back to do that tour. I would like to have a picture of the boat. Long drive back but all was well. On the way back I saw this great metallic sculpture so I had to stop and take a picture. amazing what some people can do.

 Nimitz Hotel
 Admiral Nimitz
 Entrance to National Museum of Pacific War WWII

 My Dad and what he did
 Down on the right is an island my Dad served on Funnafuti
 The Aleutian Island which my Dad spent 6-9 months before the war ended to protect them








 Steer Sculpture


No comments:

Post a Comment